A History of Exploration
Since the Museum of Science & History opened its doors in 1948, space science education has been a top priority. Through the museum's history, more than 3.5 million people have experienced its planetarium.
- 1951 The Robert Milam Planetarium, the museum's first, is opened in a converted Victorian home on Riverside Avenue.
- 1970 Longtime trustee Alexander Brest funds the purchase of a new planetarium for the museum's new location on the Southbank. The planetarium is housed in a 40-foot dome theater located in the present-day Community Conference Room, adjacent to the lobby.
- 1975 MOSH presents its first laser light show. The term “Cosmic Concert” is coined by Philip Groce, former director of the Alexander Brest Planetarium. Groce would return to MOSH 35 years later to serve as designer of the Bryan-Gooding Planetarium.
- 1988 A new space theater is constructed on the second floor of the museum. The Alexander Brest Planetarium opens October 21, 1988, and features a 60-foot dome, seating for 200 and a Jena Spacemaster projector, the first and only projector of its kind in the United States upon installation.
- 1994 MOSH presents its first 3-D Cosmic Concert.
- 2010 On August 23, 2010, after making its final performance, the museum's Jena Spacemaster projector is decommissioned.
In November 2010, MOSH unveils a completely renovated Alexander Brest Space Theater and introduces the Bryan-Gooding Planetarium, a new Konica Minolta Super MediaGlobe II planetarium, to First Coast residents and visitors.